Sunday, January 20, 2008

The Cheaper Alternative to Glasses: A Failed Experiment So Far.

Well, my cheap eyeglasses experiment is a dismal failure so far. The pair I ordered from 39dollarglasses.com came quickly enough (within one week), but there was one problem. When I put them on my fluffy litttle black cat looked like a blurry fire-breathing space alien (I'm still having nightmares)! Everything was blurry, even moreso than without wearing the glasses at all. Well, I knew that meant one of three things: 1) I had entered the prescription info wrong, 2) my doctor had written down my prescription wrong, or 3) the glasses were made wrong. It was pretty clearly not number 1. My receipt matched my prescription exactly, so I had entered it correctly. I had to go back to my doctor's office to resolve number 2. Sure enough as soon as he put the glasses in his machine he was like "These are really messed up." All signs pointed to #3. It turns out they made the left eye +1.25 instead of -1.25. Also the right eye power was -2.0 despite me entering -1.5. Needless to say I am feeling like I got what I paid for. I emailed the company about 2 days ago explaining the problem and despite an automated reply that said I would hear from them in 24 hours, I have heard nothing yet. Meanwhile, undeterred I entered my prescription at optical4less.com and we'll see if they can come up with something better. I have not sent my old frames to the eyeglass people yet to be replaced because I want to be sure I have another pair that I can use as a backup first. However, their box for me to mail my glasses to them arrived in a jiffy so at least so far they are living up to their promise to make ordering lens replacements online easy. The saga continues...

No comments: