Sunday, September 16, 2007

Brain Candy for Economics/Finance Geeks: The Economist

One of my favorite publications is the Economist. I think it is better than the New Yorker, New York Times, Wall Street Journal, or Financial Times. While it isn't cheap at about $100 per year if you get a good subscription deal, I do think it is money well spent.

The top five reasons I like the Economist are:

  1. Global coverage. Unlike most US-based publications the Economist reminds me every weekend that we live in a big world with many countries and points of view. George W. Bush would have been well served if someone forced him to read the Economist each week since he has been in office. Or, at the very least, he might not make so many mistakes when giving speeches.
  2. A focus on the big picture instead of the day to day (a benefit of being a weekly publication).
  3. A balanced mix of poltical and business coverage. I generally hate politics, but these guys usually put an interesting financial spin on what is going on.
  4. The Science & Technology and Books & Arts sections which help keep me from being a total economics/finance dullard.
  5. The Big Mac Index. Gotta know how much it costs to kill yourself in nearly 50 countries.

So if you are intrigued pop over to their subscription page and sign up for the free 6 week trial they are running right now. You won't be sorry. (Note: Armchair Fiduciary gets no personal financial benefit from you signing up for the 6 week trial; this link is merely provided as a service to my readers.)

No comments: